Saturday, 3 November 2007

Panel sanding


Having cut out all the panels I matched them all up and clamped the same ones together at both ends, put each bundle in turn in the woodworkers vice on the bench and carefully sanded down to the lines with a belt sander. The advantage of using a sander and not a planer was the sander had a more gentle action in removing the waste wood and the panel edges didn't require hand sanding afterwards, so it did two jobs in one. Bloody noisy though! Hence the ear defenders.
Next job is cutting out the butt joints.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ear muffs clash with your beaerd

Peter Smitham said...

Yes but they do help me to spell!

Krafty said...

So you must be getting close to the first stitch test or whatever it's called? Ar you going to use cable ties or wire?

Peter Smitham said...

I've got an old pump motor I saved when the repair guy put a new one on my washing machine. I was so grieved at having to pay someone to do it that I kept the pump 'just in case'. So I'm stripping the copper wire out and using that. If it is too thin I've got a reel or two of the old colour ring main stuff that I'll use.

Krafty said...

Excellent, nothing like doing things old school!

Krafty said...

And are there any special tools for twisting the copper ties or just good old pliers? Maybe a pair with sprung handles? I ask because I realise there are loads of ties to put in and I can imagine having sprung handles would be a help for something repetitive like that...

Peter Smitham said...

Good old pliers I 'found' in the street before we moved to Lincolnshire. They probably belonged to my neighbour.

Boatmik said...

Howdy Peter,
Great Blog!!! I will probably set up a link to it from my website at some point.

Yours is the first Eureka I have heard of being built in the UK - though I am sure a few have quietly built them over the last few years.

Best wishes
Michael Storer
http://www.storerboatplans.com

Boatmik said...

Howdy Krafty,

With the wiring I wouldn't use spring loaded pliers - there's not much load required and the springiness would slow things up a bit - it is pretty easy.

With the smaller Eureka (now discontinued) we used cable ties, but nowadays they seem to break very easily - which is upsetting. I would recommend copper.

Michael Storer

Krafty said...

And I recommend Pete attempts to push on with the project - Good job time isn't money ;-)

"Said the impatient one that was hoping to get to paddle the thing this summer!"